I got an A- on my first exam for my seminar! My professor really liked that I quoted him directly. "COREPER is the most undemocratic, dark, secretive organization in the world. And what is it doing in a group of liberal, democratic countries? Deciding its daily agenda!" You have to say it with a British accent, and know what COREPER is to think it was as funny as it was at the time... Yeah, but I thought an A- was pretty amazing considering it was over the entire structural framework AND history of the European Union, of which I knew nothing about a month ago.
Speaking of a month ago, I left a month ago tomorrow. Weird...
Anyway, this weekend was really good. I accidentally slept until one in the afternoon on Friday. It was the first time since I've been here that I was actually able to sleep until I woke up. I have these amazing blinds in my room black block out all light. I honestly thought it was ten am when I woke up. Oops. That whole day was pretty unproductive as a result.
On Saturday, I went to Basel with a group of girls. On the weekends, it's free to get there by train from Freiburg and only takes about 45 minutes. I suppose we should have done a bit more research before going, because we didn't really venture outside of the shopping and eating areas. Oh well, we'll go back. We tried to go to an art museum, but by the time we finally found it, it was only an hour and a half before closing and too expensive. We accidentally had dinner a Thai restaurant's grand opening. It was really kind of exciting because we were their first customers. We got a huge discount and free drinks, and it was absolutely delicious. It was a perfect end to a good day.
Last night, I stayed up kind of late talking to my flatmates (auf Deutsch!). I didn't understand about half of what they said, but I tried! They're no longer speaking any English around me (except for a word here and there). I found out that my male flatmate (Joachim) is married and his wife is pregnant. Nice to know after a month of living with him! I also love that a married man is living with three girls, and that I've only seen his wife twice. Oh, cultural differences...
On Thursday, I'm going to Geneva with the program. We're only staying for one night, but I'm still excited. Hopefully the bus ride there isn't too brutal and long.
On Saturday night, the other vegan on the trip (Jamie) and I are making a three course dessert dinner. We're thinking something like bread pudding or something fruity for the appetizer, something filling and peanut buttery for the main course, and something chocolaty for dessert. mmm... That will surely make up for the lack of indulgence cheese fondue place that they're taking us out to in Geneva. Gross.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment