Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sorry I haven't been updating much. IES is really keeping us busy.
Two days ago, we were sent on a scavenger hunt of the city. My group was sent to the Münstermarkt, which is a market in the middle of the cathedral. We got some lunch, explored the cathedral and then wandered around for two hours. My group was really a bizarre mixture of people, though, so that was kind of unfortunate. I spent the rest of the day unpacking and setting up my room.
Yesterday, we had our german placement test. They made us take it at 7:45! How was anyone supposed to do well? Anyway, I was placed in the one that I signed up for, Intermediate German II. Technically I've taken it already, but it was with Tom Freeman and a year and a half ago, so I know it's necessary to take it again, whether or not Beloit will accept it for credit.
Then I sat through more and more sessions of learning about Freiburg. It was really kind of ridiculous how much information they threw at us. We went on a city tour, learned how to do everything from our laundry to eating at the Mensa (cafeteria). I still don't think I really understand everything, but I will soon!
Then I met up with some girls and we went to a cafe downtown. We still hadn't figured out the bus schedule and the trams stop working at 00:30, so I we had to call it an early night or risk getting lost downtown. Hopefully tonight I'll go out with some people who have already figured it out or something... we're thinking an 80s club? It would be mildly hilarious for sure!
Tomorrow we're going on a hiking trip to the Schwarzwald. It'll be really nice to finally get some exercise. I think I'm going to get a gym membership soon because the university doesn't have one that we're allowed to use, and the dorms have a really really sketchy one. I really don't have time to do anything except buy necessary things or sit at the IES center right now though. Soon!
Tschüß!

No comments: