Here's a picture of Jamie, Derek, Alia and me in said coffee shop. Everyone has been questioning whether or not I've made any friends here, so I figured I'd post some with people other than me in them. The stuffed animal just happened to be there.After seeing all of Luxembourg (except for Patton's tomb, which we found out much later is located there for whatever reason), we got back on our bus for another long ride to Brussels. Arriving around dinner time, we decided to walk around and stumbled upon a gorgeous area later coined Asia. We pretty much ate there every day because it's incredibly vegan friendly (Jamie and I being the two vegans), healthy, cheap and delicious. I think this, along with the AMAZING chocolate, really just sold me on the city. I absolutely loved Brussels and everything about it. The city was clean and beautiful and was completely walkable. I probably bought twenty chocolate bars because it's honestly the best chocolate I've ever had in my entire life. There was also ample amounts of sorbet all around. There was also a bar called Delirium that had 2,004 different kinds of beer from all over the world. I must say that Belgium can actually compete with Germany in this area.
The town hall in the city center.
CHOCOLATE!!!
At the Council. All of the flags of the 27 EU member states. The current decor is done by Slovenia, who holds the current presidency.On Thursday morning, we left (rather grudgingly myself) for Paris. The program gave us a lot of free time in Paris and we only really had two meetings. One of them was absolutely terrible and it's very possible that somebody's secretary's secretary was the one giving us the presentation. It was word for word off of a powerpoint, which was word for word off of their website. Then, people in my program basically tore her apart by asking questions that she should have known the answer to. No need to talk about that anymore.
After the first speaker at a European Security and Defense advising organization (which was basically a reading of three people's resumes, unfortunately), they made us walk for 45 minutes to show us where our next meeting place was going to be. The majority of the girls, myself included, were not wearing appropriate shoes for such a (cobblestone laden) journey. My feet became so blistered and my feet and lower back so tired from this that I (and a few others) was pretty much cranky for the rest of the trip. Perhaps I can blame this on my dislike for the city of Paris, but perhaps that's only part of it. Going to the various museums (the louvre and Musée d'Orsay) and seeing the necessary sites (the Eiffel Tower, Champs-Élysées, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Sacré-Cœur, etc.) was amazing, but the general feel of the city wasn't. It was dirty, the people were generally unfriendly (except at more Asian restaurants where they'll happily speak English with you), and it just felt unnecessarily snooty. Walking down Champs-Élysées (the high class shopping street) was incredibly annoying for that very reason. So much mindless consumerism and pretentiousness. It also didn't help that on our last day there, Sunday, everything was closed and my lunch consisted of an apple and a couple dried apricots (after a breakfast of plain cornflakes) and dinner wasn't until we got back to Freiburg at 10pm because the only place open to stop on the way was McDonald's. I also spent days having a dressing-free salad for lunch and not eating dinner until very late after hours of walking around. Not a very happy Emily.
But, I have pictures. IES took us to a fancy French restaurant, explained below.
I'm not even going to bother saying what this is.
The Louvre
Me, Leslie, Jamie, Jessica and Derek at the fancy French restaurant
I asked one of our program coordinators to explain to the waiter what a vegan was and to ask them to prepare something special for me and Jamie. Watching the waiters face might have been the most amusing/horrifying expression ever. What came out was a plate of vegetables, including ratatouille. Pretty delicious. Let's just hope a rat didn't make it.Now I'm back in Freiburg and realizing how quickly the semester is coming to an end. I have a 15 minute presentation auf Deutsch next week, two 15 page papers due in a week and a half, a 20 page paper due the week after, and finals in about a month. Don't expect much updating from me, unfortunately. On Friday, my EU-US class is taking us to Strasbourg to meet with the other European Parliament, so expect updates about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment