I have been incredibly busy in the past month. Because we travel so much, we only have so much time to do our school work. In any given week, I could have two midterms, a paper and a German test. This week, I had two papers due. It's pretty intense, but I'm not complaining. I could be doing the same amount of work and be stuck in Wisconsin doing it.
Last week, Kate and her friend Siobhan came to Freiburg. I had a midterm the morning after they arrived, but then I had an easy day and a half and was able to show them around the best sites of Freiburg. They saw the Münstermarkt (market at the cathedral) as well as the museum that I haven't even been to yet. I took them to the places with the cheapest Chinese and Italian food, the best beer, and the organic supermarket. I think they could easily see why I love Freiburg so much.
On Thursday evening, we, along with four other people on my program, hopped on a train to Amsterdam. I slept incredibly well on the train. We arrived in the city and were just ready to relax. It was nice to finally be able to be in a city without being overwhelmed by lack of time and a surplus of things to do. We took our time at the various museums (Van Gogh, Anne Frank's House, Rembrant's House) and were able to catch up on much needed sleep. Unfortunately, the weather was pretty terrible the entire time we were there, so there weren't as many tulips as one would expect out of Holland. The city was absolutely gorgeous, though, once you got past its lewdness and the less than ideal weather. The liberal politics of the city really make you think about American politics, though. Would it be better to regulate and legalize soft drugs and prostitution? It seems to be working out well for the Dutch, but I'm sure our history and culture would create a lot more problems than are seen in the Netherlands.
Next week, we're going on our final field study trip to Western Europe. We're leaving for Luxembourg and Brussels on Monday and then leaving for Paris on Thursday. It's a long time to be on a bus once again, but at least if our bus breaks down, we won't be stuck in Slovakia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment